Now Enabling HTTPS availability for BlogSpot blog is very easy. We have to follow simple steps and change No to Yes and that’s it,but first lets discuss about HTTPS availability for blogger blog. HTTPS has become a web-standard & one of those practices that every webmaster should follow. HTTPS is great for the security of data as it encrypts the data transferred between users & a website. Especially it protects them from common hacking practices such as data sniffing & man-in-the-middle-attack. Full form of HTTPS is Hyper-text transfer protocol secure
. Google has already encrypted Gmail, Search, Drive and many other products by default, they’ve now expanded HTTPS support to their Blogspot domain blogs. If you’ve a BlogSpot blog, then here in this guide we are today with how you can turn on HTTPS Support for your blogger blog but first we should know why HTTPS:// connection is necessary for a blog or website and Benefits of using HTTPS in Blogger.
Series Posts >>
Last year, Google made HTTPS as a standard practice & an official search engine ranking factor. This story generated a mixed reaction from bloggers & websites owners, as there is no money transaction happening on the website & HTTPS doesn’t seem so important for information based blogs/websites. From my understanding on this topic, I believe it’s important to have HTTPS even for the blogs, as no middle-man can alter the information. If you are up for learning more about it, I suggest you to read this article on Man-in-the-middle-attack. You can learn more about Google’s HTTPS everywhere mission with this video; https://youtu.be/cBhZ6S0PFCY.
Why HTTPS:// connection is necessary for a blog or website?
- HTTPS is a cornerstone of internet security. It makes it harder for unauthorized persons steal information and track the activities of blog visitors and authors.
- Google Search Engine Optimization spider always looking for https:// using website or blog for users. That means it will make your blogger blog rank higher on search result..
- https:// provides an extra layer of security. It have ability to check that visitor open the correct website and are not redirected to a malicious location.
- It helps check whether the unauthorized or a hackers are trying to change any data sent from blogger to blog visitors.
- If you are selling any digital products like PDF then this https:// security will help you and your visitors to secure their data of Paypal, credit card etc. You can now freely sale anything with you blog.
Benefits to using HTTPS over HTTP in Blog or Website
- It helps check that your visitors open the correct website and aren’t being redirected to a malicious site.
- It helps detect if an attacker tries to change any data sent from Blogger to the visitor.
- It adds security measures that make it harder for other people to listen to your visitors’ conversations, track their activities, or steal their information.
- When you enable HTTPS, visitors can access the encrypted version of your blog by typing https://<your-blog>.blogspot.com.
How To Enable/Turn On HTTPS in Blogger?
- Login to your BlogSpot dashboard
- Click on the dropdown & go to your blog settings
- Go to Settings > Basics & look for HTTPS Settings option
- From the HTTPS availability dropdown, select yes & save the option.
- That’s it, and your blog is not HTTPS enabled.
Your blog will become accessible over both HTTP and HTTPS connections.Though a word of warning, this may cause some issue due to mixed content on your blog. This can be caused by few things such as images on your blog hosted on HTTP site. Mixed Content errors occur when a web page downloads its initial HTML content securely over HTTPS, but then loads the follow-up content (such as images, videos, StyleSheets, (scripts) over insecure HTTP. These browser errors will degrade both HTTPS security and the user experience of your blog. If all your blog images & content are hosted on BlogSpot platform only, you might not face any such error. You can read this help guide to fix it or probably wait for few months before enabling HTTPS.
This feature will be available for bloggers using the custom domain name with their BlogSpot blog in the coming months. I believe most of the serious Blogspot bloggers have already purchased a domain name rather than using generic .blogspot domain address. Here is official help page for enabling HTTPS on a BlogSpot blog. I will update you once this feature is available for all BlogSpot bloggers. For now, I would like to hear your opinion on: Is HTTPS important for information based websites?
So above guide is about How To Enable or Turn On HTTPS in Blogger Blog and i hope by this complete guide you can easily turn on HTTPS in Blogger. Hope you will like this post. If you are facing any problem after following above steps then you can ask us by dropping a comment bellow. Thank you for reading. If you think we’ve help you then you can share this article on social networking sites.